Drew/Madison Volunteer Ambulance Corps “Drew Crew”
Location: Madison, NJ
The mission of the Drew Crew program is to provide Drew University’s campus with an MVAC ambulance crew, comprised of at least one EMT and one Driver, to respond to medical emergencies on campus during Friday and/or Saturday nights. This coverage will allow MVAC to retain a separate EMT crew to respond to calls in the Borough of Madison, and provide MVAC with the crew from Drew for very urgent Code 4 calls. This program will give the students experience as an EMT or ambulance driver, as a first responder and in emergency medicine. EMT’s and Drivers who join the program will be sworn in as full members of MVAC and, therefore, will be able to sign up for additional MVAC shifts throughout the week as needed and as their time allows. The Drew Crew may also be asked to cover events on the Drew campus when an on-site ambulance crew is needed to stand by. NOTE: This program is on hold because of Covid restrictions through the Fall 2021 semester. It is expected to start up again in the spring or fall semester of 2022.
- Be a student of Drew University in the First Year, Sophomore, or Junior Year (Seniors may be considered on a case-by-case basis)
- Submit an application and other required forms to the Drew/MVAC Program Coordinator in the Center for Civic Engagement.
- Pass the background check and be physically able to serve with the Corps.
- Be interviewed by the MVAC Membership Committee
- EMT’s must be certified in the state of New Jersey or be certified in another state with a New Jersey reciprocity agreement.
Rules and Requirements
- Commit to at least one full semester in the program, completing at least 45 hours on shifts.
- Be initiated as full members of MVAC prior to the first shift.
- EMT’s must have up-to-date EMT Refreshers and CPR certification prior to the first shift.
- Prospective Drivers must be certified in CPR and FIRST AID (within guidelines established by the American Heart Association and protocols by the State of New Jersey) prior to beginning their CEVO training. The Corps provides these trainings and certifications free of charge.
- Complete at least one shift each weekend, each shift being 6-8 hours during the evenings and nights
- Drew Crew members must remain at the MVAC building while on duty.
- Following induction as MVAC members, EMT’s and Drivers must take on full member responsibilities including monthly meetings, helping to clean the ambulances, taking part in rig supply checks, the promotion of the Corps, community events, training courses, and drills or functions at the building for which help is needed.
- Admission to the program is dependent on the successful submission of a complete application, required forms, an interview and the completion of the background check.
|Start Date:||Jan 4, 2022|
|End Date:||Apr 30, 2022|