The Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF), founded in 1974, is a national New York-based nonprofit organization that protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans through litigation, advocacy, organizing, and community education. AALDEF is supported by foundation and corporate grants, individual contributions, and special events. For more information about AALDEF and its current activities, visit our website at www.aaldef.org.
The Communications Manager is responsible for designing and executing communications strategies that advance AALDEF’s mission. The Communications Coordinator reports to the Executive Director and Assistant Director.
- Manage AALDEF’s website and online communications, including email updates to engage constituencies and key audiences.
- Write media releases, letters to the editor, op-eds, and print/online newsletters. Assess and make recommendations on promotional needs.
- Write fact sheets, backgrounders, and position papers on cases and campaigns in which AALDEF is currently engaged, to be distributed to the media, supporters, and other key audiences.
- Help develop and guide AALDEF’s social media presence on Facebook, Twitter, Clubhouse, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Work closely with the executive director and attorneys in crafting messages and talking points for press spokespeople. Recommend and develop new story angles and pitches for the press.
- Develop and maintain relationships with mainstream and ethnic media, including reporters, editors, producers, and publishers.
- Maintain systems for managing communications capacity, including: developing and updating media lists, tracking speaking engagements, and monitoring media coverage of AALDEF and Asian American issues.
- Work with the Development Director on annual campaigns, publications, and events to help achieve development goals.
- A minimum of three to five years experience as a journalist or public relations manager at a nonprofit organization.
- Experience working with the media and cultivating relationships with print, radio, television and online reporters and editors.
- A track record, including professional or volunteer work, in social justice, advocacy or civil rights issues. A demonstrated familiarity with Asian American civil rights issues is preferred.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, with attention to details and a commitment to quality control.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in high-pressure situations with quick turnaround for written products.
- Experience in managing websites, including writing web copy and managing outside consultants.
- Ability to translate legal concepts into accessible language for messaging points, and press materials.
- Ability to develop story angles in a creative manner, seize media opportunities, identify media trends, and successfully pitch and place stories.
Commensurate with experience; excellent health and vacation benefits package.
As soon as possible.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter (including any salary requirements), resume, names of three references, and two unedited writing samples to:
99 Hudson Street-12/F
New York, NY 10013-2815
(for email, insert “Communications Manager” in subject line)
AALDEF is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.