Children Now is a nonpartisan whole-child research, policy development and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children’s health, education and well-being in California. Children Now also leads The Children’s Movement of California, a unique network of more than 4,100 parent, youth, business, labor, civil rights, faith, and community-based organizations, as well as thousands of individuals, working together to make children a top priority in public policy. Learn more at www.childrennow.org, including about Children Now’s core organizational values.
College and graduate school students are invited to apply to be a Children’s Movement Equity Fellow. Fellows will support the growth of The Children’s Movement by recruiting groups statewide to join our pro-kid network and engaging current members to advocate for kids by supporting legislative, regulatory and state budget advocacy efforts. Fellows will gain experience in network development through data-driven on-line recruitment and engagement in policy campaigns, while also learning about how The Children’s Movement supports statewide advocacy. With opportunities to attend meetings with and learn from policy experts about various children’s issues such as health, education and child welfare, this fellowship is also an excellent opportunity for individuals interested in establishing and expanding their network with leading child policy experts and learning about public policymaking, outreach, advocacy, communications, and nonprofit organizations.
Fellows will work virtually, unless otherwise notified in advance of the start date. Fellows will work approximately 30 hours per week for approximately 8 weeks over the summer and will be paid $16 per hour.
Possible projects include:
· Recruiting groups across the state, primarily through online research, email and phone outreach to join The Children’s Movement.
· Developing tailored messaging and conducting outreach to groups in support of efforts to advance state policy for kids.
· Mobilizing existing Children’s Movement members, via phone and email, to support advocacy campaigns.
· Advancing equity by identifying and recruiting diverse groups to address the needs of all of California’s kids, particularly those affected by racism and other forms of systemic discrimination.
· Conducting list-building and maintenance using Excel, Google, Airtable, Microsoft Teams, and other platforms to help manage member data and generate new prospective Children’s Movement member leads.
· Identifying and researching different data to update existing Children’s Movement member records that will improve engagement strategy.
The Fellows will work closely with The Children’s Movement team, but will manage their projects independently, exercising good judgment, organizational expertise, problem-solving skills, and time management.
Desired Skills and Experience:
· Interest or experience in systems change with a focus on race equity;
· Interest or experience in children’s advocacy, policy change, communication, coalition and network building, community organizing and/or outreach;
· Strong verbal and written communications skills;
· Strong analytic, organization and project management skills;
· Ability to work independently and as a member of a team;
· Must reside in CA; and
· Preferably a college or graduate student in Public Health, Education, Public Policy/Administration, Political Science, Communications or related field.
Please complete the online application form.
Applications are due March 9, 2021.