Are you a curious person who enjoys helping people? Are you good at finding information and enjoy answering questions? Are you a good communicator with a predictable schedule? If yes, you should consider applying to work at the Research Help Desk in the Library.
Position summary: The Reference Student Assistant supports the efforts of the Library’s professional staff in meeting the Library-related needs of the Drew community. Assistants will contribute to the effort by doing clerical duties, conducting hardware maintenance and participating in user services. The position reports to Margery Ashmun in the Reference Dept and works at Drew Library’s Research Help Desk.
Must be able to commit to work an average of three – 2 hour shifts per week. A sample of possible shifts is listed below:
FEDERAL WORK STUDY PRIORITY HIRING PERIOD: August 9, 2021- September 9, 2021
Duties and responsibilities:
- Provide research help desk coverage during Library hours, e.g. specific hours on weekdays. Present a professional and positive impression to Library users (students, faculty, and community members) in person or by phone.
- Assist users with routine questions, including help with locating research materials of interest
- Shelve and assist with organization of reference materials
- Assist with maintenance and organization of Dept space
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Training and Skills
- Punctual, reliable, detail-oriented, and organized
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- On-the-job training is provided. Student will be trained to use the Library’s research resources
- Basic computer skills, at minimum
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally
- Participate in career development workshops
- Ability and comfort working with diverse populations in a busy environment
- Ability to provide the highest level of customer service to visitors or callers from both Drew and the surrounding community
- Federal Work study position
The position is for the academic year, i.e. both fall and spring semesters with the opportunity to continue from year to year throughout the student’s academic career at Drew.
Time Commitment and Schedule:
The position requires 6-10 hours of work per week. At least 6 of those hours will be on a set day and time throughout the semester, i.e. they will not change from week-to-week. Optional additional hours may be available on a weekly basis.
To Apply: Apply through Handshake or email a completed application found at libguides.drew.edu/jobs/application to Margery Ashmun at email@example.com.