Job Title Laboratory Assistant
Location Danville, Pennsylvania
Job Category Diagnostic Services
Schedule Openings for Days, Evenings and Night Shift
Work Type Openings for Full Time, Part Time and Per Diem
Assesses, accessions, and processes patient specimens in preparation for testing in the various sections of Laboratory Medicine.
- Safely handles potentially infectious blood, body fluids, and other patient specimens in compliance with regulatory standards.
- Assesses suitability and acceptability of patient specimens.
- Rejects unacceptable specimens according to established protocols.
- Matches order information with specimen information to ensure accuracy and patient safety.
- Accessions and results according to procedure via appropriate computer application.
- Correctly assigns billing numbers, location codes, and physician numbers.
- Verifies physician orders when test requests are unclear.
- Prepares specimens as appropriate including centrifugation, aliquoting, labeling.
- Delivers prepared specimens to appropriate testing area in a timely manner.
- Applies laboratory internet programs to store specimens and to locate, retrieve, and process specimens for additional testing as requested.
- Maintains computer logs, quality control, disinfection procedures, and departmental assigned duties.
- Manages phone inquiries and provides information regarding specimen collection, transport, and patient results as appropriate.
- Navigates and accesses multiple computer applications as needed.
- Assists with packaging ordering and referral of specimens to reference laboratories in compliance with U.
- Department of Transportation and commercial carrier regulations as required.
- Troubleshoots missing specimens and other preanalytical errors including courier log review, specimen archives.
- Maintains equipment, participates in established preventative maintenance program, and alerts supervisor of any equipment problems.
- Assists in proper handling, storage, and maintenance of supplies, notifies supervisor when inventory is low.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required), Bachelor’s Degree- (Preferred)
For more information, please contact Katy Root at email@example.com