Project Pericles is a not-for-profit organization that develops civic engagement and social responsibility at colleges and universities across the country. Working with our consortium of colleges and universities, we educate and empowers students for civic engagement through the curriculum by working with communities to solve society’s grand challenges including: Climate Change, Education Access, Immigration, Mass Incarceration, Public Health, Race and Inequality, and Voter Engagement.
Project Pericles develops and runs programs, conferences, workshops, and research projects in collaboration with our member institutions. We work with presidents, provosts, program directors, faculty, staff, and students at colleges and universities across the U.S.
Founded by educational philanthropist Eugene M. Lang, Project Pericles encourages and facilitates commitments by colleges and universities to include social responsibility and participatory citizenship across the undergraduate experience in the classroom, on the campus, and in the community. For more information, please visit www.projectpericles.org.
Program Associate Position Description
Project Pericles, located in midtown Manhattan, seeks an enthusiastic and committed Program Associate to join our team. This full-time staff member reports to the Assistant Director, and supports the Executive Director. The Program Associate will be involved in all aspects of running a non-profit organization (communications, event organizing, fundraising, program administration, etc.) The ideal candidate will enjoy working on multiple projects and be a self-starter with the ability to manage and prioritize a wide variety of program management tasks. This is a wonderful opportunity for those pursuing a career in civic engagement, higher education, and/or social justice. The position offers opportunities to grow professionally by rewarding creativity and results.
• Coordinate portions of signature programs including the Periclean Faculty Leadership (PFL) ProgramTM, Debating for Democracy (D4D)TM, and the Periclean Voting Modules.
• Draft and edit high-level organizational documents, grant and financial reports, and communications.
• Coordinate logistics and materials for virtual and in-person conferences, workshops, and meetings, including the Debating for Democracy (D4D) TM National Conference, D4D on the Road TM workshops, and meetings of the Board of Directors, Presidents, and Program Directors.
• Manage day-to-day operations, including drafting correspondence, maintaining files, and preparing invoices and expense reports.
• Organize and maintain programmatic tracking spreadsheets, contact lists, and other pertinent files.
• Maintain record keeping using QuickBooks.
• Set up virtual meetings and conference calls; respond to general inquiries; and schedule appointments.
• Create and update content for the Project Pericles website, newsletter, and social media.
• Conduct, synthesize, and report on fundraising opportunities, academic research, and other areas to support program development.
• Other duties as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and authorization to work in the United States.
• At least one year of related professional work experience. Prior full-time work experience in higher education, civic engagement, advocacy, and/or nonprofit organizations is preferred.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and take ownership of projects.
• Is excited about working on multiple tasks and can prioritize efficiently.
• Proven ability to absorb and process information quickly and multi-task.
• Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
• Familiarity/interest in civic engagement and higher education.
• Competence and ease working with different digital programs, including Constant Contact, QuickBooks, Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Teams, Weebly, and Zoom.
• Maturity and a sense of humor.
• Experience in higher education, activism, civic engagement, social responsibility, social justice, and a desire to empower student leaders and communities is a plus.
Salary: $42,000-$44,000 based on education and experience
Benefits include: Generous vacation, medical insurance, and 403(b) retirement savings plan
This is a full-time position, 80% in the office and 20% remote, with an expected start date of December 2021/January 2022.
Please send an e-mail to Jan.Liss@ProjectPericles.org with “Program Associate – LAST NAME” in the subject line. Include your resume, a cover letter articulating your interest in the position and explaining how your capabilities and experience match our requirements, a one-to-three-page writing sample, and the names of two references.
Deadline: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
No phone inquiries, please.
Project Pericles is an EEO employer.