Seeking One Year Full-Time (1700 hrs) OR Partial Full-Time (1200 hrs)
Tentative Start date: September 1, 2021. NOTE: pending grant confirmation
Changebuilders Program is a Collaboration between New Jersey Campus Compact and Raritan Valley Community College
Raritan Valley Community College, serving through this project as a “Changebuilder” campus, has committed to creating opportunities for college students volunteering in the community. This project will help increase high quality, project-focused volunteer time dedicated to the Somerset/Hunterdon region involving students in service learning courses, Honors program, and co-curricular activities to complete projects for nonprofits and local government that are established partners with the College’s nationally recognized Service Learning program.
We are seeking a qualified candidate to work with RVCC’s Director of Service Learning and Community Outreach to recruit students and coordinate activities – an amazing opportunity for a dedicated candidate that is committed to the Somerset/Hunterdon region’s promising future.
Please note that this is either a full time or partial fulltime, AmeriCorps service term position. AmeriCorps consists of local, regional, and national organizations who are committed to using national service members to address critical community needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. This position therefore falls under the Federal Agency, the Corporation for National Community Service, that works to eliminate poverty in partnership with the state of New Jersey. It will require initiative, drive and a passion to affect change by serving those in need. Through their service, AmeriCorps members gain valuable skills, along with quantifiable professional and educational benefits, and the experience has a lasting impact on the members and the communities they serve. Also, in return for their service, members will receive a modest living allowance, health benefits, and the option of receiving a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend.
New Jersey Campus Compact (NJCC – a 501c3 nonprofit) is a presidents’ higher education coalition that supports community prosperity through purposeful community engagement. Changebuilders is the flagship program and represents a massive statewide partnership with AmeriCorps, the New Jersey Commission on Volunteerism, students and other NJ higher education institutions, expert practitioners from each campus, New Jersey’s businesses and industries, and numerous community partner
Position Title: AmeriCorps Member Serving as a Changebuilders Coordinator
Position Supervised by: RVCC Director of Service Learning and Community Outreach
Program Managed by: New Jersey Campus Compact (NJCC)
Position Funded by: NJCC & AmeriCorps
Duties and Responsibilities under the Guidance of the Director of Service Learning and Community Outreach:
- Carry out the annual plan of programs, practices and initiatives focused on RVCC’s Service Learning nonprofit agencies, government offices, public schools, and other community and neighborhood organizations.
- Recruit student volunteers through service learning courses, co-curricular activities and Honors program.
- Learn about the various volunteer organizations and activities offered by service learning community partners and their service opportunities for students.
- Communicate and collaborate with established service learning community partners who provide placements for students to ensure they are active and to explore new opportunities.
- Recruit student volunteers and help facilitate placement with established service learning community partners.
- Make class presentations about the Changebuilders program at RVCC to explain program and recruit student volunteers.
- Assist students with program forms for tracking their time and actions while volunteering in communities.
- Identify students to be recognized for their work; nominate one student finalist for the Changebuilder Scholars Award ($1,000) and for the Newman Student Civic Fellowship (National cohort of public problem solvers); nominate students for the annual THRIVERS publication, an online database; prepare descriptions of awards.
- Encourage Changebuilder students to present and attend the annual statewide Engage-NJ conference, as well as the Student Opportunity Fair, with NJ Campus Compact.
- Work with RVCC’s Director of Service Learning and Community Outreach to maintain program compliance; track all relevant program data and compile monthly and quarterly reports for New Jersey Campus Compact (NJCC).
- As part of a statewide cohort of Changebuilder Coordinators in the Changebuilders program, network with peers and have the opportunity to facilitate trainings that feature coordinators’ own skills and achievements.
- Comply with RVCC rules and regulations governing community engagement activities.
- Improve the capacity of the program from the previous year; and use the year to build your own professional network.
Qualifications and Experience:
New Jersey Campus Compact strives to attract and retain a diverse and talented staff who will contribute to the organization’s and our partners’ goals, mission and vision. We encourage individuals of any identity, ethnicity, race, religion, or socioeconomic background to apply. New Jersey Campus Compact is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by law.
Specific qualifications and experience include:
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree (or pending undergraduate graduation this semester) is preferred, however, some college combined with work experience may substitute for a degree
- Experience with community engagement/volunteer/or non-profit organization work, as a student or a professional is a plus
- An interest in or experience working with students and/or community agencies in a voluntary capacity, and working with people of different identities, races, ethnicities, and backgrounds is a plus
- New Jersey Campus Compact (NJCC) 3-5 day orientation in early September for all coordinators from across the state; includes one day orientation with supervisors
- 1-week orientation with the RVCC Director of Service Learning and Community Outreach
- Monthly NJCC-directed trainings on running various community engagement initiatives, sharing best practices, networking and career-building relationships
Living Allowance: $16,000 for 1700 hour position
Segal Education Award: A Pell grant equivalent of $6,345 only upon successful completion of the total hours term of service, which can be doubled to *$12,690 representing an AmeriCorps Segal Education Award AND an award match if accepted to an award-matching schools in New Jersey (at non-matching schools the award is therefore $6,3495). The award can be applied to a subsequent year’s tuition.
Living Allowance: $11,500 for 1200 position
Segal Education Award: A Pell grant equivalent of $4,441 only upon successful completion of the total hours term of service, which can be doubled to *$8,882 representing an AmeriCorps Segal Education Award AND an award match if accepted to an award-matching schools in New Jersey (at non-matching schools the award is therefore $4,441); the award can be applied to a subsequent year’s tuition.
Benefits: Health Benefits (if needed), Childcare Benefits (if eligible), Loan Forbearance and Interest Accrual Benefits (if eligible)
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to: Lori Moog, Director of Service Learning and Community Outreach at: Lori.Moog@raritanval.edu. Please submit by May 31, 2021.