Location: Chicago, IL (In Person)
Employment Status/hours: Full-time; Monday – Friday (during traditional school hours)
Service Term: October 6th, 2021 – June 2022
Stipend: $16,216.50 service year stipend + $4,441.50 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award + in-person compensation (monthly public transit pass OR Grubhub credit)
Who We Are
Saga Education is a national nonprofit, founded in 2014 and aimed to confront educational inequity to support historically under-served schools and their students. Saga Education has dedicated itself to providing high-dosage, in-school tutoring in partnership with public high schools. Since our founding, Saga Education and our tutoring fellows have served over 17,600 students across Chicago, New York City, Washington, D.C. and Broward County.
In the 2021-2022 school year, Saga Education is exploring partnerships with several new city districts including Providence, RI and Charleston, SC.
The Work and Why It Matters
Nationwide, students are experiencing a significant interruption in their formal education due to COVID-19 and resulting school closures. While educators and students alike have many unprecedented challenges to overcome this upcoming school year, educators report that their top concern is students falling behind in math. This concern is heightened for educators in high poverty districts who teach predominantly black or Latinx students.
Now more than ever we need talented, caring, and capable people committed to supporting our students in their academic and social development. Finding academic interventions that address inequities that historically underserved students face is one of our nation’s most urgent challenges.
Saga Education’s AmeriCorps Member Math Fellows serve in-person at one of our partnered public high schools in Chicago, IL. Saga’s tutoring model is embedded in the regular school day and fellows manage a small cohort of approximately 16-24 ninth and tenth grade students over the course of the school year. During a typical school day, fellows will work with up to four students at a time, two of whom will work independently on a blended-learning platform, and facilitate lessons during six class periods per day. Fellows will implement Saga’s proprietary curriculum to foster academic success and help students reach their goals. Saga Math Fellows promote academic success by focusing intently to provide individualized instruction and build strong, meaningful relationships with their students during their year of service. In addition to offering academic support, Saga Math Fellows also serve as student advocates and mentors.
- You will provide daily math tutoring to your caseload of students assigned at the beginning of the service year. Saga’s model is embedded into the regular school day, and you will serve 2-4 students per class period
- You will use student data to differentiate math instruction for your students and adapt lesson plans as needed
- You are expected to maintain regular ongoing communication with parents/guardians via email, text or phone, given parent/guardian preference
- You must be prepared to navigate varying technology, both hardware and software, and troubleshoot technical issues as they arise
- You must have a proactive approach to work in order to complete deliverables on time and maintain proper work-life balance
- You must check and respond to emails daily and regularly consult with your Site Director
- You will participate in weekly observation and feedback sessions with your Site Director for professional development and growth
- AmeriCorps Members are expected to complete 1,200 service hours during their ten-month commitment
- You have an interest in math education and a strong understanding of Algebra and Geometric skills and concepts
- You are passionate about youth development and addressing educational inequity
- You are committed to continuous learning and growth, have a strong feedback orientation, and actively seek professional development opportunities
- You possess the mindsets, cultural proficiencies, and skills to build effective, caring relationships with students and other members of your team
Experience & Qualifications
- AmeriCorps members are required to be U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent residents
- You have a completed Associate’s degree, or higher, in any discipline
- You are located or willing to relocate to Chicago, IL
- You are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no later than September 30, 2021
- You have intermediate computer skills
- You have strong time management skills
- You possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Please be aware that you must clear a National Service Criminal History Check and all other security and health requirements set forth by Saga Education and the school district in which you serve before the start of training
Saga Education offers a competitive service year stipend, a comprehensive benefits package, as well as opt-in programs such as flexible spending account (FSA) and discounts through Tickets At Work. Company-provided technology is also offered by Saga Education.
Saga Education provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Thank you for applying to Saga Education.