**Serco follows all CDC state and local COVID-19 recommendations. To accommodate, this internship will be 100% virtual and will not include any on-site visits to Serco locations.**
Serco’s Training and Experience Program (STEP) is designed to provide undergraduate university and college students paid accredited internship opportunities to gain meaningful, hands-on work experience in a professional environment. STEP emphasizes developing the workforce of the future. Our goal is to help you build a career roadmap that provides you with challenging and rewarding learning experiences with Serco.
Serco offers internship opportunities across the following three career tracks: Business, Technical, and Engineering. Our 2021 internship opportunities are available throughout the U.S. and Canada and begin on May 25th and conclude on August 13th, with 1 week off July 5th – 9th. You will work with your manager to identify the best working schedule for you – working no more than an average of 36 hours a week with the added perk of half-days on Fridays.
In addition to gaining hands-on experience, you will attend training sessions taught by skilled leaders in our company which provides training to better prepare you for a full-time career. These training sessions range from finance, personality in the workplace, presentation skills, resume building, and more. In addition, we believe great ideas come from all levels of the company! Because of that, each year we challenge our interns to work in diverse teams to develop, propose and execute on a project that improves our ways of working. Throughout this project you will work with Senior Sponsors and meet with members of our Executive Team.
As an Electrical Engineering Intern, you will support our Maritime Engineering, Technology & Sustainment (METS) Business Unit which is responsible for industry-leading capabilities in naval ship and submarine design, systems and engineering services, and production support, logistics and in-service sustainment. This complements Serco’s other engineering capabilities in shipboard, shore and systems installation and upgrade services to the Navy.
You will join a team that is responsible for a multitude of various design efforts on a multitude of different vessels, on the many different US Navy Programs and Contracts, as well as commercial vessels and systems. In your role, you will be utilizing a variety of different tools and software programs to perform analyses and design studies possibly involving integrated power systems, diesel generators, batteries, fuel cells and even simple power distribution systems. You will also assist in preparation of reports to describe analysis and design efforts, being responsible for summarizing results of simulations and design efforts for customers and higher authorities.
During your Internship, you will gain exposure to a wide range of teams within the organization including marine/mechanical engineering, naval architecture, design, procurement and program/project management. This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly engaged and collaborative engineering team.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Assist with analysis and model construction.
• Develop mathematical models.
• Build design concepts and detail designs.
• Assist with preparation reports.
• Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• Preferred fields of study: Electrical Engineering, General Engineering, or a related field of study.
• Ideal candidates are rising juniors, seniors, or Spring 2021 graduates.
• Candidate must be able to obtain a security clearance.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Self-motivated with a strong work initiative and attention to detail.
• Strong customer service, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated experience collaborating in a team environment.
• Passion for learning with a wide degree of creativity and curiosity.