Interested in beginning your career in NJ politics? The Somerset County Democratic Committee is looking to find a replacement for the Executive Director Position! Below you will find the job description.
The Executive Director, working with the Chair and Executive Committee, develops and implements the Somerset County Democratic Committee’s strategic plan and oversees the administration and programs of the party, including political affairs, campaign management, paid and volunteer personnel, membership, fundraising, communications, and technology.
Over the past few years, the Somerset County Democratic Committee has had historic success and is looking for a political up-and-comer to help deliver even more wins. In the upcoming campaign, the county will be defending full control of the County Board of Commissioners. This
is an opportunity for someone to learn and grow in a supportive environment, and build a reputation to lead to significant career growth.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Characteristics:
- Ability to lead in a fast-paced environment, manage and prioritize a large workload, and
effectively delegate responsibility.
- Strong communicator in writing, presentations, and in interpersonal communication.
- Highly developed, demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills.
- Strong knowledge of political campaign strategy, public policy, municipal, county and state government. Knowledge of New Jersey and Somerset County politics a plus.
- Able to direct the efforts of a team including elected officials, party officials, and supporters. Ability to recruit and motivate volunteers and communicate respectfully and productively with a wide variety of people of various skills, temperaments, and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to increase organizational efficiency and continuously improve methods and programs while being cost-sensitive. Commitment to continuous learning.
- Familiarity and skill with Microsoft Office, voter databases such as the Voter Access Network (VAN), social media, website management, and customer relationship management (CRM) systems such as NationBuilder, SAGE, or SalesForce.
- Active and valid U.S. driver’s license and ongoing access to a motor vehicle.
Somerset County Democratic Committee Affairs
Schedule and facilitate meetings for the Chair, executive, and finance committee meetings, nominating conventions, and re-organization meetings; maintain SCDC’s calendar of events. Oversee compliance and other administrative requirements, meet filing deadlines.
- Political Affairs: Develop and implement a plan to strengthen and expand the SCDC; develop and manage the
SCDC’s election strategies; assist state, county, and municipal campaigns with election needs;
conduct coordinated field operations and GOTV.
- Office & Scheduling: Oversee campaign headquarters staffed with volunteers and interns to conduct general office
work; communicate with supporters and voters, maintain organization files; ensure data integrity.
- Volunteer & Internship program: Responsible for all aspects of internship and volunteer program including promotion, recruitment, and management, assigning and coordinating volunteers for events, office headquarters and
- Fundraising: With the Finance Committee chair, create a yearly fundraising plan and oversee its execution,
plan and oversee events, and assist Treasurer with compliance.
- Communications: Create a comprehensive communications plan, including messaging, media outreach, press
releases, social media coordination, website, and email, and oversee its execution; develop and
maintain professional relationships with national, state, and county elected officials and organizations.
- Technology: Develop and maintain organization web presence via a website, Facebook and Twitter. Ensure data
integrity for county committees, donors, volunteers, interns, and other constituencies using
centralized CRM systems. Recommend hardware and software systems and upgrades.
- Minimum 2 cycles as paid staff in county, state or federal elections, or a minimum 5
cycles as staff at municipal level.
- Experience supervising and managing a professional or volunteer staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree; political science degree a plus
- Campaign training a plus
How to Apply:
- Submit resume, writing sample and salary requirement, E-mail – Mike Goldberg,
- Mail – Somerset County Democratic Committee Attn: Peg Schaffer
150 Morristown Road, Suite 105 Bernardsville, New Jersey 07924