We’re redefining what’s possible in public education. We set out to tackle this education crisis with a groundbreaking school design that delivers a rigorous, whole-child education to students from all backgrounds. Today, as the fastest growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York, our network of 47 K-12 schools outperforms every district in the state, proving irrefutably that all children are capable of excellence.
Please note that all applications for this job posting will be considered for a July, 2022 start date.
About Success Academy Charter Schools
Success Academy is a high-achieving, leading-edge network of 47 K-12 public charter schools serving over 20,000 scholars throughout New York City. We are redefining what’s possible in public education.
Success Academy welcomes candidates from all backgrounds who understand that the work we do is important, and are looking for a career where they can swiftly build a professional skill set while being challenged, supported, and valued.
At Success, non- academic subjects aren’t ‘extra’ but essential. Scholar Talent and electives serve as critical, creative outlets for scholars to explore and develop their passions and talents in athletics, chess, debate and visual and performing arts. We expect Scholar Talent teachers to be masters of their craft and share their passion, talent and experience in the classroom.
We are looking for a results-driven Speech and Debate Teacher to join our community.
In this role, you will:
- Build a classroom culture in which scholars develop a love for public speaking and debate
- Collaborate with teachers across the network to build a world-class speech and debate program, while investing the community in the vital role of public speaking and debate in education
- Engage students with challenging material that is relevant to their lives and interests
- Prepare scholars to compete in rigorous city, state, and national competitions; and
- Engage in training with school leaders and benefit from targeted, in-the-moment feedback on instruction, which accelerates learning and growth with unparalleled support
We invite you to apply if you:
- Have or will receive a Bachelor’s degree by Spring 2022
- Achieved outstanding academic results
- Have a record of excellence competing in debate at the collegiate level or coaching at the middle school or high school level
- Are passionate about speech and debate and learning
- Set ambitious goals for yourself and others, and are not afraid of putting in the hard work it takes to achieve them
- Have confidence and presence — You enjoy taking the lead and inspiring others with your passion and commitment
- Enjoy collaborating with others (i.e., playing on an athletics team, or in a band or orchestra);
- Have leadership experience (i.e. leadership position on a club or team; experience overseeing/managing people or organizing activities)
- Pay strong attention to detail, and have experience juggling multiple responsibilities and planning around competing priorities
- Have experience working with a group of children
- Embody the character traits we value in our ETHOS – Excellence, Teamwork, Humor, Ownership, and making sure our Scholars are top of mind
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We actively seek applications from people of all backgrounds to strengthen our community and the perspectives needed to flourish in a multicultural world. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
Learn more about our philosophy, benefits, and team at https://jobs.successacademies.org/working-here/.