The Jackson Laboratory is a world leader in mammalian genetics, and has a mission we are passionate about: to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Center for Biometric Analysis (CBA) is a state-of-the-art scientific service facility providing scientists with extensive expertise and equipment to perform in vivo mouse phenotyping across a wide range of biomedical domains including neurological, psychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders, exercise physiology and cardiovascular disease.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and skilled Research Assistant with a keen interest in neurobehavioral sciences and physiology. The day to day activities of the role will include conducting mouse phenotyping procedures, quality control and analysis of the resulting data, schedule planning, developing and documenting methodologies, as well as assisting in the preparation of data packages and scientific reports. The successful candidate will become highly proficient in mouse phenotyping procedures designed to assess behavioral features including motor, sensorial, and cognitive traits, as well as in physiological assays such as cardiac ultrasound, and electrocardiography.
- Conducts tests, experiments, and/or procedures following standard or detailed protocol; identifies and documents variations that may affect the validity of the experiment.
- Data collection and analysis. Performs quality control, monitors data for accuracy, and uploads data to database system within agreed upon timelines with supervisor.
- Validate and conduct studies based upon standard experimental protocols within the agreed upon timelines with supervisor/technical manager. Ensure functionality and maintenance of instrumentation.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 1+ years of directly related experience in a Laboratory setting.
- Advanced mouse handling and husbandry skills preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in development of research protocols.
- Demonstrated success in coordinating and/or conducting multiple, concurrent assignments or a multi-faceted project.
- Ability to interact with all individuals in a productive, professional and positive manner to enhance the outcome of the goals of the research program.
- Established understanding of good safety practices and a demonstrated history of safe conduct.
- Self-motivated with the ability to organize time effectively, demonstrated ability to manage details.
- Advanced computer skills, ability to develop technical documents and presentations.
- Ability to work flexible shifts (evening/week-end/holiday).
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory’s 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY – Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE – Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM – Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE – Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION – Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP – Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, and a pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Apply on LinkedIn HERE!
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers .