The paralegal specialist provides legal/administrative support in all areas of criminal law, international law, civil/administrative law, contract law, and fiscal law. They assist judges, Judge Advocates and unit commanders with a wide range of legal matters and judicial work.
- Paralegal support to unit commanders and the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate.
- Provide legal documents in courts-martial, Article 15 actions, and other military justice matters.
- Review line of duty determinations, AR 15-6 investigations, separation board proceedings, and other administrative law matters.
- Assistance in family law such as powers of attorney, wills, and separation decrees.
Training for a paralegal specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training, and 10 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Legal terminology and research techniques.
- Preparation of legal documents.
- Army judicial process.
- Interviewing witnesses.
- Ability to supervise those in command.
- Provide technical guidance to subordinates.
- Maintain law/administrative library.
- Monitor and review actions for accuracy.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and 30 days paid vacation.
In the U.S. Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS:
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career as a legal assistant, paralegal, or court clerk.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PAYS) PROGRAM:
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company.
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation.
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.
- Home Depot.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be between the ages of 17-34.