The Corporate Strategy team is aligned with the C-suite at Whirlpool and drives initiatives in four major areas: Business Development, Strategic Initiatives, Competitive Intelligence, and Strategic Planning.
Strategic initiatives – Lead important strategic initiatives mandated by the Board of Directors or the Executive Committee on behalf of the enterprise. We also partner with business leaders to support the development of business strategies. Types of initiatives we drive include market entry strategy, growth strategy, and portfolio strategy.
Competitive strategy & intelligence – Partner with the Executive Committee to shape the competitive strategy for the company and embed it into regional plans. Assess competitor activities and performance, including being accountable for ongoing competitive monitoring.
Strategic planning – The team defines the strategic planning process for the enterprise, including long-range planning, strategic planning, and strategy reviews with the Board of Directors.
Business Development and Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) – Responsible for the M&A strategy as well as an assessment of and execution of specific acquisition, joint venture, alliance, and divestiture opportunities on a global basis.
- Play a key role in strategic projects within Whirlpool’s core business as well as domains’ adjacent to major appliances (such as small domestic appliances, consumables, etc.)
- Understand, structure, and analyze complex business issues
- Prioritize analyses through hypothesis-based problem solving
- Seek second-order implications and insights beyond the obvious
- Perform rigorous and accurate analysis and modeling
- Translate analysis output into practical and implementable recommendations
- Help create Whirlpool’s competitive strategies and support ongoing competitive intelligence gathering
- Support business development/M&A actions including target screening/assessment, valuation, due diligence, negotiation, and acquisition integration
- Assess and profile companies to support both formulation and identification/execution of strategic partnership, joint venture, and acquisition opportunities
- Communication development and business reporting:
- Share insights and recommendations in a structured and easily digestible manner in both written and oral format, persuading based on facts and sound logic
- Present your analysis while engaging the audience and projecting self-assurance
- Take an active role in internal and external presentations, meetings, discussions
- Build a network of internal relationships with a broad cross-section of the organization, and leverage organizational knowledge, resources, and expertise
- Manage own time and schedule with initiative and effectiveness, negotiating and prioritizing demands across multiple projects
- Able to work partially remote, coordinating and process-managing work in a virtual setting from these locations Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, or Wisconsin
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree with anticipated completion in Spring 2021
- Experience working in a Management Consulting Firm, Financial Institution, or Consumer Goods Business
- Experience (academic, internship, or professional) in Strategy, Finance, Accounting, Marketing or Operations
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative
- Excellent communications and presentation skills, both written and verbal, including confidence and presence to engage effectively with senior executives
- Mastery of Google Slides and Google Sheets
- Ability to recognize the accomplishments of the team before the individual
- Highly motivated and possess vision and enthusiasm
- Understand how to deliver on short time frames and be committed to meeting deadlines
- Communicate in an open and honest way that quickly builds trust and respect
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit
- Be comfortable making presentations