Established in 2000, the World Cocoa Foundation (WCF) is the world’s leading organization for cocoa sustainability. WCF is an international non-profit membership organization whose members include companies from across the global cocoa and chocolate supply chain. We convene public private partnerships for a thriving and sustainable cocoa sector, where farmers prosper, communities are empowered, and the planet is healthy.
WCF is headquartered in Washington, DC, with offices in Côte d’Ivoire and Ghana, and operations across cocoa origin countries. WCF has an annual budget of about $8 million and a staff of about 35 people.
WCF seeks a communications intern for the 2021 fall semester interested in developing their communications, social media, event management, and research skills. Strong attention to detail, interest in non-profit communications, and a focus on sustainability or international development would benefit this intern as they support communication efforts, conduct research tasks and projects, and assist in day-to-day event planning activities.
The internship is virtual, with potential to move into the WCF Washington, DC office depending on COVID-19 pandemic safety and precautions. It is intended to further the intern’s educational goals in communications and sustainability. The internship is paid at the DC minimum wage.
WCF expects that between 16 and 20 hours per week will be needed between August and December 2021. The precise internship start/end dates and weekly schedule will be determined based on the intern’s schedule and availability. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Note: If applicable, interns are responsible for arranging their own accommodation in the Washington area, all work-related transportation, as well as other personal needs. Interns need to secure reliable and strong internet access. A laptop will be provided.
· Current undergraduate or graduate student;
· Background in communications, event management, public relations, social media, sustainability, international development, or related field;
· Strong written and verbal communication skills;
· Strong research and analytical abilities;
· Detail oriented;
· Ability to take initiative and work independently;
· Positive, can-do attitude;
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite;
· Preferred skills and experience: Familiarity with Zoom, Microsoft Teams, WordPress, Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite, MailChimp, Salesforce, and/or video-editing software; and,
· Students with an international background, notably French and/or Spanish speakers, are encouraged to apply.
- Draft social media posts for Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn (text and graphics).
- Input web content. Improve SEO and help maintain and update WCF’s website (WordPress).
- Assist with the preparation and execution of WCF’s annual conference (2021 Partnership Meeting) to be held November 17-18.
- Provide writing, copy-editing, and graphic design support for blog posts, press releases, emails, newsletters, invitations, and reports.
- Create videos from photos or video footage.
- Track media coverage and create media lists.
- Research prospective member companies and make updates to current member company records.
- Update Salesforce database and Excel with contact information.
- Provide overall administrative support to the WCF communications team and other duties as needed.
How to Apply:
· Interested and eligible candidates are requested to upload their resume, cover letter describing their interest in this internship and WCF, and contact information for two references (professional or academic) to:
· Please address the letter to “Human Resources” and name your files using the following convention: “J.Doe Cover Letter” and “J.Doe Resume”.
· Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until internship is filled.