Young Scholars Charter School (YSCS) is a free, lottery-based, open-enrollment charter school serving students from across Philadelphia in grades 6-8. The mission of Young Scholars is to provide a personalized middle school education that challenges, engages and prepares all students to passionately pursue their dreams and lead a life of active citizenship. We aim to inspire and equip every student to lead a life of achievement, service and success. Our structured and nurturing community, comprehensive programming and rigorous academic curriculum are designed to build self-motivated citizens, eager learners and strong leaders – regardless of circumstance.
We seek to provide project-based learning and high-quality instruction to help students grow as learners and citizens. We believe in rigorous and culturally relevant curriculum where all students are given an opportunity to reach high academic success. Our teachers engage in extensive planning, strong instructional execution, and common skill-based assessments. Our curriculum engages students in building their academic proficiency and social-emotional skills to be successful.
YSCS is seeking a passionate Art Teacher to join the YSCS family for the 2021-2022 school year! This person will teach 6th and 7th grade art.
Each core subject teacher at Young Scholars is responsible for a single content area, grade level and a maximum roster of 100 students, an average class size being 25 students, to foster strong student relationships and prioritize deep content expertise. Additionally, all teachers receive up to 3.5 hours of preparation time daily, collaborative planning time, and regular supports and coaching from a departmentalized leadership team. YSCS is a unique and innovative educational environment with a dual homeroom partner structure, content coaches, and extensive elective and sports offerings. All staff members are considered critical players in decision making processes and have the opportunity to influence the overall direction of the school.
- Plan and provide excellent grade-level and culturally responsive instruction;
- Develop detailed lesson plans, materials, homework assignments, and assessments based on state standards and school-wide goals for student achievement;
- Provide differentiated learning opportunities to support each student’s academic growth;
- Set and reinforce clear expectations for student engagement;
- Continuously improve based on feedback and coaching from school leaders;
- Collaborate with other teachers to increase student engagement and achievement;
- Reward positive student engagement and invest students through the use of school wide systems and meaningful relationship building strategies;
- Engage with family members regularly and participate in school-wide family engagement activities including phone calls to family members and school-based meetings with families;
- Provide additional academic support to students after school for at least one hour per week.
Qualifications and Skills
- Outstanding instructional skills and data-driven approach to instructional planning;
- Mastery and enthusiasm for content/subject area;
- The ability to motivate students and cultivate a culture of achievement and joy;
- A belief that ALL students should be held to high academic standards and can achieve;
- Resilience and perseverance in the face of challenges;
- Professionalism (interactions, communication, duties, and attire);
- Commitment to school transformation and continuous improvement;
- Open to feedback and coaching;
- Strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement;
- Collaborative approach to problem solving.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Experience driving student achievement, creating and implementing standards aligned instruction and building meaningful relationships with students and families;
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field;
- Must hold or be actively working to obtain PA teacher certification.
- Competitive salary and benefits package;
- Robust daily planning periods;
- Unique school calendar, hours, and schedule;
- Professional collaboration with grade and content teams;
- Weekly coaching and ongoing professional development;
- 1:1 Chromebooks in every classroom;
- Google Education platform for online assignment management;
- The opportunity to maximize your impact in schools where we are raising the bar for student achievement.